Thursday, July 19, 2012

Adventure of the Day: Bostonian Froyo and my Best Friend


Let's be real though-- I did not journey into Boston just for the frozen yogurt. I went to see my best friend, Izzy. Izzy and I have been best friends since the seventh grade, and have formed the closest of sisterhoods over the years, despite living apart for five years of our friendship. Izzy is taking classes in Boston, so I promised her I would visit during her lunch break.


Izzy and I in the beginnings of our friendship years ago!



Izzy and I today. Do you think we've changed a bit?
Today I traveled 2 hours from my home, via car and train, for some frozen yogurt. Yeah, I love it that much. In fact, it reminds me of a quote from the movie "The Help," where Minny says, "Fried chicken just tend to make you feel better about life." Insert "froyo" where "friend chicken" is, and that might as well be my new personal adage.

My favorite part of the T ride into Boston: the Charles River! What a view!
So, I took the T into Boston. Although it the cause for many headaches and hassles, I love that filthy and hectic underground railway. It is the vascular system of Boston, filled with  thousands of traveling souls you would have never crossed paths with under any other circumstances than the fact that you are both going somewhere. Being a writer, I love seeing the eccentric mix of people that commute on the T, and guessing at their life stories-- it fascinates me.

























And so, after a long T ride, I finally arrived in Kenmore Square. While I waited for Izzy to meet me at Zinga Frozen Yogurt, I took in the sights of one of my favorite cities in the country:











Finally, once Izzy got out of her class, the moment I'd been waiting for-- FROYO!! I have to say, I was impressed with Zinga. I've tried several frozen yogurt places, and Zinga had a great flavor selection, and a great variety toppings that were labeled and kept in separate containers that avoided the messy mixing of toppings that usually occurs in self-serve joints. After arduous strategics and grueling decision making, I came to my frozen masterpiece: fat-free vanilla bean and fat-free salted caramel pretzel yogurt topped with vanilla wafers, peanuts, and a single cherry:



Yes, it tasted just as good as it looks, if not better!



Izzy enjoyed her concoction too. Honestly, I have no idea what crazy combination of toppings and flavors she chose, (and I'm not fully sure she knew either), but, needless to say, it was not long before our once filled-to-the-brim froyo cups were nothing but empty, sticky paper containers.




                                     

After devouring our frozen treats, we ventured to the Barnes and Noble across the street. That book store is a place I could live in and be perfectly happy. I rarely find myself buying much, but just being among the books and taking in the smell of fresh, word-filled paper and Starbucks coffee wafting through the air is quite enough. It's the little pleasures in life!

Today was another one of those days where I did not purchase any books, but I did compile a list of hopefuls for after I tackle my already long reading list (and get more money!):

Izzy had a recommendation for me too
 


After that, it was time for me to go home. But it was a beautiful day in Boston, and I was glad to spend among the things that I love: books, frozen yogurt, and my best friend.



And what about you? What are your favorite frozen yogurt flavors? Any book recommendations? Feel free to comment and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment